ANXIETY TALK PART 2!✨
This is an area with limited, moderate to poor quality studies, BUT! we are learning more everyday about how food affects your mood!
1. Omega-3 fatty acids 🐟🥑🌰 Studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids provides an anxiolytic effects to those who suffer from anxiety. Omega-3 fatty acids are located in brain membranes and may play a role in controlling neuroplasticity, inflammation, & other neurobiological processes. Find omega-3's in fatty fish, flax/chia/hemp seeds, nuts, avocado, enriched eggs, spinach, and brussels!
2. Antioxidants 🥦🥬🍅 Think vitamin C & E! The antioxidant vitamins are linked to anxiety relief based on their role in defending against oxidative stress. One study found that patients with GAD had a significant reduction in anxiety scores with a significant increased in serum antioxidant levels after 6 weeks of vitamin C and E supplementation when compared to a control group. Vitamin C is found in bell pepper, broccoli, kale, tomato, & strawberries. Vitamin E is found in dark leafy greens, avocado, nuts, seeds, & whole grains.
3. B vitamins 🥚🥩🍞 B vitamins, such as B12, B6, and folate, have historically been linked to depression & mood disorders. B vitamins are involved in blood sugar regulation and enzymatic processes, like serotonin synthesis. Find B vitamins in meat, dairy, seafood, whole grains, legumes, and leafy greens!
4. Magnesium 🥬🍌🥑 Scientists have found magnesium to play a role in the pathophysiology of mood disorders by affecting the hypothalamus, which helps to regulate your body's stress response. Get your magnesium in from nuts, seeds, beans, dark leafy greens, bananas, and whole grains.
5. Zinc 🥩🥜🧀 Zinc is needed for neurotransmitter synthesis, specifically, for serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine. Studies have found that low levels of zinc have been associated with oxidative stress and increased anxiety symptoms. You can find zinc in meat, shellfish, legumes, dairy, and whole grains.
Check my stories later to learn more about these specific nutrients & current research on them for anxiety relief! 🤓